Here I am, once again doing something I said I’d never do. I’ve started a blog. I said the same thing about crazy quilting, but I’ve jumped into that with both feet as well. I’m a great admirer of Sharon B of Australia and have enjoyed her blog as well as her outstanding crazy quilt work. On day 11 of her 100 details for 100 days posts she talked about interpretation of ideas and of jumping off points for your own crazy quilting adventures. As much as I’m enjoying Sharon’s work and that of the others who are joining in, I wanted to do something different. Maybe it’s the inventor in me, but sometimes I just have to go my own way. OK, so what’s my plan then? I’d like to take a simple embellishment, say a line of feather stitch, or a piece of lace, show a before picture of it, then embellish it further and show it again. That’s the plan, anyway. I’m calling it “Embellishment Extensions.”
But first, after some conversation on the hand-embroidery list at Yahoo this morning, I posted my rather pointed opinions about variegated thread. In a nutshell, I said that variegated thread often looks better on the ball. In my often disappointing experiences with variegated thread, I’ve discovered that those with a wide color swing can be a problem when stitching. By wide color swing, I’m describing thread that is very light going to very dark and takes a long time to get there, say 2 or 3 feet. If your chosen stitch pattern doesn’t use a lot of thread over a small space, then you’re going to get really light spots and really dark spots. That’s only bad if it isn’t the look you’re trying to achieve. Usually,for me, it’s not. (The look I was after.) What we’re looking at here are the little dots (colonial knots) below the curlicues. I used a DMC Perle Cotton in a beautiful variegated green. I started at one end and worked my way to the other end. On the far left, the dots are a deep green, getting lighter until they are almost white, then they start getting darker again, but not back to the darkest shade. This isn’t the look I was after, and I show this to my students as a mistake. They tell me it looks fine, and I’m certainly not going to take it out, but if I were to do it over again, I’d skip all over the place, waste a lot of thread, and get a more even distribution of the colors. It’s one of those live and learn things.
Speaking of learning, I’m still trying to get the hang of this blog thing, so please bear with me while I get this figured out. Hopefully it won’t take me too long.
Until next time….